In order to come up with this simple keto stuffed pepper recipe, I researched and experimented with a few stuffed pepper recipes to find something delicious, keto-friendly and easy – with only 9 ingredients. I tried to balance the meat/non-meat ingredients to try and differentiate this from other recipes and skew it to the healthier side.
I wanted to create something that used the magical Turmeric and could use store bought ground beef. This recipe works with ground chicken and ground turkey as well – or the packaged meatloaf mix (beef, pork, and lamb.)
You can mix up the cheese and the sauce to take this Mexican or Philly or wherever your imagination takes you.
I found out the hard way that smaller cauliflower pieces are needed to properly rice it. My first attempt “souped” the cauliflower on the bottom because the pieces were too large to fall down into the blades.
This recipe calls for dicing an onion. I have my own method but it resembles what is shown in this video:
- 1 head, large (about 6″-7″” dia) Cauliflower Raw
- 1 large (about 3″ dia) Onion – diced
- 2 tbsp Garlic – diced (from a jar is fine)
- 16 to 20 oz Beef Ground (80% or 85% or 90% lean)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil – divided
- 2 cup, shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 to 2 tsp Turmeric
- 4 large Green (or red or yellow) Bell Peppers (Fatter with a wide base to help them stand up)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or pasta sauce or salsa
- Optional – 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- Cut the cauliflower tops off (about four cups) and dice them into 1″ cubes. Then use your Vitamix (Purchase from Amazon) or food processor (Hamilton Beach or Cuisinart) and pulse them while scraping them down between pulses for less than a minute to rice the cauliflower. It should be about 2 cups.
- Cut the tops off at the highest widest part of the peppers. Then cut in a circle around the highest widest part and remove the center, seeds, and pull off and discard any lighter colored internal ribbed areas with your fingers. (I should make a video for this)
- Heat 1 Tbsp Oil up in a large frying pan – large burner – medium heat
- Add diced onions – saute 4 minutes
- Then add Garlic – saute 3 minutes more or until the garlic starts to brown and the onion is soft.
- Add Ground Beef – cook thoroughly about 8 minutes.
- After brown, turn off the burner, then tilt the pan and spoon off the drippings as best you can – 1 to 2 tablespoons left is fine.
- Now stir in the rest of the oil, tomato sauce, 1 Tsp Turmeric (optional cayenne pepper – only 1/8 teaspoon!) and cauliflower cook for two minutes
- Add half of the cheese – cook for two minutes more
- Place peppers in a baking dish and fill with the meat mixture using a spoon that is narrower than the pepper opening. Make sure that the peppers are standing up.
- Bake uncovered in an oven for 30 minutes – watch the pepper and when they start to wrinkle they should be ready.
- Remove and add remainder of the cheese to the tops of the peppers.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
You really don’t need any sides with this simple keto stuffed pepper recipe. It tastes great reheated in the microwave too. This is a good break from some of the standard Keto bars and powders. Here are some of the best sellers out there. Nutrition facts are on the bottom of the page.